Translate this page

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Seth Radow - Financial Advisor




Name: Seth A. Radow
Age: 45


Occupation/Job Title: Financial Advisor




Description of where you work, and what you do:


I live and work in Los Angeles. I work for UBS, one of the largest managers of wealth in the world. I, literally, advise people on how to manage their financial assets, liabilities and all financial affairs. In this very complex world, prudent capital management is an essential part of life.


Education: Describe the education, apprenticeships, or any learning experiences that were necessary to learn the skills for your job, to acquire the credentials or degrees, and to qualify you to do your job.


College with concentrations in finance, economics, public speaking, critical thinking and reasoning, political theology are all important. Extensive and consistent reading for continued education is critical to understanding the world we live in. A post graduate degree will separate the best from the rest when trying to enter the field.


History: Describe the history that led you to doing “what you love,” as a career: early interests, experiences, motivation.


I wanted to be an astronaut...but a lifetime of asthma ensure that my future would keep my feet firmly planted on the ground. That said, I have always been very interested in money, economic success and business in general. I have always been an avid reader with interests in a broad array of subject matter. I have always been an outstanding athlete...in most any sport I participated in. I loved being a competitor and found that, although I loved competition, I often preferred to compete against myself. This resulted in my study of martial arts for over 26 years. All of this made me the man that I am. In business, one must be a competitor. It's not so much that one must compete against others, but one must compete against himself in order to be a full and balanced life.


Obstacles: Describe any obstacles you had to overcome to do what you do now.


Time management is critical. One must determine how one wants to live one's life. One must constant ask himself the question: "Do I live to work or work to live?" The answer to that question will help one determine how to manage time and how to manage one's life. A wife and two daughters, all of whom I adore, deserve the majority of my time. As such, clients, partners and associates will have to share my time with them. Such are the compromises of life.

Mentors: Describe others who affirmed your goal of doing “what you love,” and/or helped you in some way to reach your goal.


My father has always had an influence upon my life. He retired at 46 years old to ensure that he could spend plenty of time with my brothers and I. I was told once, by one of my managers at work that "the harder I worked, the luckier I would get". I have always found this to be true. I have also learned from some of the brilliant people that I worked with that if I really loved what I did for a living then my time at work would be a pleasure. I have found that I truly enjoy my time at my office. I am surrounded by terrific partners and associates who all love what they do. They, too, know that they have to share me with my "girls".


Advice: Is there any advice that you would give to a young person about doing “what you love?”


One must have and maintain an active life outside of work. No matter how much fun work is...one must have fun outside of the office. For me this is a lifetime of weight training (currently 3 mornings a week), training in martial arts (currently 3 times a week), skiing (as often as I can), sailing (haven't done much of this lately), coaching my daughters sports teams (soccer every year as a volunteer), teaching martial arts (three afternoons each week as a volunteer). No matter what it is that interests you...never, ever give it up...for any reason whatsoever. Complement and supplement that which you do for a living with that which makes you unique as a human being...that which makes you who you are...that which defines you as a participant in this world.

No comments: