Translate this page

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Greg Delong - Radio Sports Show Host and Sports Marketing Director



Age: 45

Occupation/Job Title: Show Host, Inside The Cage, an all MMA talk radio show on Fox Sports Radio 1450 KHIT, Reno, NV and also worldwide on http://www.sportsactionnetwork.tv/ ; Director of Marketing for the Wall Fighters division of WOW Sports


Description of where you work, and what you do:
The radio show is easy for me because it is talking about a sport I love and having a platform to give my opinion. I do research before the show on the most recent MMA news and on anyone that we are interviewing on the show. With Wall Fighters I am responsible for everything that goes on. The signing of MMA fighters to exclusive contracts, building relationships within the MMA community and marketing the product.

Education:
Describe the education, apprenticeships, or any learning experiencesthat were necessary to learn the skills for your job, to acquire the credentials or degrees, and to qualify you to do your job. I have a college degree, but eveything I have learned about MMA and the MMA community has been hands on. I have been a fan since the sport began in the early 90's. I have trained, cornered, fought, gone to shows, covered shows for media outlets etc. I had an opportunity to do the radio show based on an interview I did on another radio show and I jumped at it. Wall Fighters was the same thing. A company was making the product for markets and I pushed for the MMA related division.

History:
I wrestled throught high school and college. A lot of wrestlers have had success in MMA and I was drawn to the sport as an extension of wrestling. As I have gotten older I realized that what motivates me on a daily basis is doing something that I love and believe in. Just doing a "job" so I can get paid only holds my interest for so long and then I get bored and disinterested. Making money for someone else that is living their dream is not for me. Right now I am building these two opportunities so the money is minimal right now, however, I have always been told that if you follow your passion the money will follow. I plan to make that happen.

Obstacles:
The obstacles have for the most part been internal. No matter how bad a day you have you just keep on marching on and remembering why you are doing it. Other people will think you are crazy or should just "get a job". Just smile, tell them thanks for their input, and then go work that much harder to make YOUR dream come true.
Mentors:
Describe others who affirmed your goal of doing “what you love,” and/or helped you in some way to reach your goal.The MMA community is a pretty good bunch of people. Most of the people in that community and my true friends have been nothing but positive and encouraging in my efforts. I have also solicited advice from others that work in radio or have had successful businesses on how they got where they are.



Advice: Make sure it really is what YOU love and not something that someone else has pointed you towards. Think about what it is that really excites you, what you would like to do every morning when you wake up. If you were doing it you wouldn't even think of calling it work. Then you know it's what you love.

Greg DeLong

No comments: